OPPOSING BREXIT

A brief post to re-affirm my strong opposition to leaving the EU, and to repudiate the ugly – and frankly ridiculous – statements made by various members of the current UK Government about our European friends and allies.

I strongly support the EU, and will continue to do so regardless of the state of the UK’s relationship with EU countries.

Undergraduate and post-graduate students from the EU enrich my research and teaching, and are a valuable part of our academic community. The benefits of their presence, and also of the presence of EU workers in the UK, has been confirmed beyond any doubt, and I will continue to welcome them. To argue that they are damaging our economy is to tell lies.

I am disgusted that our politicians cannot make the case for the contribution of EU – and non-EU – workers to our economy, and to our broader intellectual and social well-being, through contributions to science, arts and so on. Instead, they are appear craven to a media that is xenophobic at best, racist at worst, and a small group of atavistic nationalists that do not reflect our true values as a country.

Please resist BREXIT in any way that you can.